View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 05:04 AM
OES184

Default Grandmother's bed cover

This bed cover has a story. My grandparents moved from Elwood, Nebraska, to Fremont, Indiana, in the spring of 1927. They traveled with their two girls, 5 years old and about 9 months old.

I did not know the significance of this item until my aunt (the former 5 year old) rediscovered it during a deep cleaning spree at her home in Raleigh. When I visited we took a closer look at it.

This is a friendship "quilt" made by Grandma's friends and relatives as a remembrance gift when they moved to Indiana. It is 6 blocks wide and 6 blocks long, sufficient for a double bed. A center block is dated February 22, 1927. This is Grandma's birthday (she would have been 33 years old). Each block is embroidered with with a flower motif and the name of its maker. We had a grand time decyphering blocks and recalling who the ladies were who took the time to make this gift.

This bed cover (it's not quilted, but the blocks are joined with thin blue sashing) was used year-round, if I recall correctly. You can see in close-ups that there is quite a bit of damage: holes; embroidery rubbed away.

I was fortunate to inherit the bed cover when my aunt passed away in August. I thought many of you would appreciate seeing this.

Marcia
Attached Thumbnails gma-bed.jpg   gma-brecks.jpg   gma-date.jpg   gma-detenbeck.jpg   gma-flower.jpg  

gma-puls.jpg   gma-vandament.jpg   gma-zubell.jpg