View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 PM
captlynhall

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Here is what I have done since my kids were young and wouldn't eat either onions, peppers or cooked carrots that they could see: I put them each raw into my food processor and mince finely.. or puree. Then I put into a gallon freezer bag and flatten and freeze. Then I can just break off the size piece of each I need for a certain recipe and it thaws quickly because it's thin. I use these in all kinds of things including chili, meatballs and meatloaf, soups, casseroles, etc. They add a lot of flavor and are not there for the kids to see.
When I decide what I am going to make, I break off the veggie chunks and set them out to thaw. If it's last minute, a short time in the microwave thaws them even quicker.
That is a great idea. Would be really handy for us working gals that come in late and have to fix dinner. My son, who is what you might call a gourmet cook, told me he makes stock from scratch, then freezes it in an ice tray. When ever he needs stock he just pops out however many cubes he needs. With your recipe and his, you have a start to a real tasty dinner.