Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Edie

They will never know the feeling of "does it look good enough to enter in the Fair?" They will never know the anticipation of waiting to see if they get a ribbon. They will never know the joy one feel when someone says "Isn't that beautiful?", and it's yours. So what if you get a ribbon or not. So what if someone pooh-poohs your work or your feeling of seeing something entered in the Fair - be it County or State! You worked on this project, you completed it, you saw it hanging behind glass and you saw or did not see a ribbon. I have seen the ribbon and not seen the ribbon. From Crewel work to Hot Banana Peppers; from chocolate cake to Black Raspberry jelly with a sprig of Lemon Verbena (home grown) in the jar. From ceramics to porcelain - I have won ribbons, blue ribbons, best in show, but I did it, I am proud of it and to blazes with them that do not have an inkling of the love you put into your project, the hours, the money (which we never quibble about) and then to give it as a gift. Those people will never feel that. Feel sorry for them!!!!! They will never know what it is like to bond with a quilt; they will never know the satisfaction you feel when that last stitch goes in. They will never know the look on someone's face when you give them the quilt or whatever you have made. I think they are jealous and I don't think there is a worse feeling than jealousy!

County Fairs generally show before the State Fairs. Then the qualifiers from the County show in the State. My granddaughter made her first quilt ever and showed it in their County Fair. She got a ribbon. She is 11 years old and in 4H.

I wouldn't even think about it anymore. They are the unhappy ones, not you. Oh, yah, all of the above I did when I was over 50 years old. I thank God I can still do this, well, I don't paint anymore, but I do cook and I do quilt - and I think that is just fine for a 74 year old ding-y broad. I love my life now and I am not going to listen or take to heart anything anyone is going to say about something I did! My husband loves my work (probably the cooking the best) and that is the most important.

Congratulations on your ribbon! Buy yourself a picture frame and hang it in your sewing area. Nothing better than having a ribbon hanging!!!!! Edie