Thread: Low Carb Help
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM
vickig626

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
The dietitian and your Dr. are the people your daughter should be relying on for sound info and advice.

There are different types of carbs and so it will be important to know the difference and whether all are wrong for her? or which are allowed within the severe limitations.

Good Luck!
I had gastric bypass over 4 years ago and lost almost 100# and have kept it off. What I found is, although I did my research for over a year before considering it, the physician's office did NOT have the long-term care in mind of the patient. I had to go to the hospital Medicare told me to so I didn't really have much choice. They only gave me close assistance for about 3 months then I was basically on my own.

I found a local hospital that had a support group and I was welcomed into the group. I learned there that they had long-term guidelines like what to eat, how much to eat, what to stay away from, etc. etc. It was very defined and well done. Unfortunately, because I didn't use their practice for my surgery, I could only go to the support meetings and not be able to obtain that 2" binder of great info. I even offered to buy it but they said no.

When my surgeon left the hospital I went to, I tried to get switched over to the doctor with the good support group. Again, I was denied. I discovered at that time that once you have this surgery, no other surgeon wants to take you for followup. The only way you can switch surgeons is if you moved very far away, like another state. So, when I needed hernia repair surgery, I had problems getting this taken care of.

Bottomline, I'm not sorry I had it done and would do it again knowing what I now know. BUT, I would have waited until I was able to choose the "right" surgeon group who really cared about the long-term care.