View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 06:54 AM
kellen46

Originally Posted by pinkyrue01 View Post
The Bernina dealer does not have any used in my price range. What are your thoughts on buying a used one from Ebay?
I think if you can find a Bernina 830 record, which is a mechanical rather than computerized machine, on Ebay it would be in your price range. They have all the needed features and are very sturdy, they will sew for decades with good results. I know this as I have been sewing on one since 1974. It still runs a as if it was new. Repairs over the time I have had it, well for the first twenty years I sewed so much on it I wore the bushings down to a nub and I have had to replace the foot pedal. I don't sew on it as much now as it is my backup to my Bernina 440 so it is in semi retirement. I still use it when I am teaching my friends daughter to sew. So look on Ebay and I think you will do better than with a low end box store machine. One of the advantages of a mechanical is you do not need to go to a Bernina dealer to have it serviced. Any sewing machine repair place will do it on a non computerized machine.