View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM
margecam52

I just bought my granddaughter a Brother macine (10 st, has darning/quilting foot) for 63.00 & free shipping. She loves it! Easy to use (Emmali is 14, but has learning disorders)...I was worried about the bobbin area, as it has to be kept clean...but her mom says she will check and clean it for Em. I have several machines, well, ok six or seven, if you don't count the serger, longarm or 12 needle embroidery machine, lol. I like the Brother SE270D (it's a little embroidery/sewing machine I got at walmart ...which is were I ordered Em's machine). I use the Brother mainly for piecing now...love the thread cutter, what a time saver. I have a Singer 2662 and got it in 2006...it's got a nice zigzag stitch that will look like a satin stitch. I also have a Futura CE150 (sewing/embroidery) that is used mostly for sewing, and three old Singers...one is a treddle. It was cheaper for me to buy Em a new machine and have it sent to her, than it would have cost to send her one of mine.
If your singer is pulling (I'm guessing it's puckering the fabric...or is it that you have to pull the fabric through? Either way...get it cleaned, or clean it yourself. The CE150 is about 500.00 right now...so probably more than you want to pay..I'd look at the Brother machines for under 300.00... they will cost more if you buy from a dealer. Walmart has some good machines for around that price, and some for a lot less.
Marge

Originally Posted by pinkyrue01 View Post
I'm not sure that I am posting this in the right place. I'm new here.

I'm new to quilting and I have an older, inexpensive model Singer sewing machine, that I just don't think is cutting it. I have major problems getting accurate seam allowances because of pulling. Plus my foot pedal has no finesse. It's either all or nothing. Could anyone recommend a good beginner sewing machine I can use for accurate piecing, ditch quilting, and possibly some free motion quilting in the future? I really appreciate it!