View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Jean in Ohio13452

Maybe you could sew some other items to help pay for your Machine... Pillow Cases, Diaper bags, Messenger Bags, Tote Bags, Gift bags...most of those I mentioned are straight seams and zig zag raw edges. I got some drapery/upholstery samples at a local Thrift shop and these made some great little bags about 10 to 12 inches square or Rectangle with Drawstrings in top casing. Sold them at a Craft/ Rummage sale at Church for $2.00 each. Also made some larger bags to put personal items in for local Woman's Shelter ( comb, toothbrush and paste, deodorant and small bar of soap). You could offer to do mending for ladies and gents that go to local Senior Center (low cost), many can't see good enough or don't have sewing machines... Hemming dresses, slacks, etc...or a nursing home might have need for some one to do mending and get paid for it.... its a thought..... I have a Husky 140 by Viking, that I have had for some time and it does well for what I need it for.... plus it had no problem sewing the Duck fabric for Corn Hole Bags- 32 the first time.. I used a needle for Denim fabrics... and it worked just fine... I agree with others on this post that you need to sit down at a machine with the fabric you like to use and give them all a Test run... I just bought two sewing machines at a Estate Auction for $3.00 - one is a older Kenmore by Sears and Roebuck and the other is a Domestic #1630 sold by the Standard Sewing Equipment Company from Cleveland, Ohio. The Amish lady got the older Singer that has a outside belt so they can hook it up to a treadle .... and I also have a Singer that hubby got at another Auction that is brand new in the box for $30. The two older machines are metal... and the lady that had them used them all the time.