View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 PM
brendapm

I can't get down on the floor anymore. Just moved and have a 7.5 x 3' kitchen countertop. Just did my first quilt on it. (Top measured 69x 84" ) It worked well, so I hope this was not dumb luck. I bought basting clips that fit on the counter. Laid the batting on the counter, clipped one side. Put the backing down, clipped opposite side. (Measured both as I went to have both sides that were hanging down even on sides and bottom.) Unclipped 2 clips on one side and spray based and smoothed, repeated at other end of that side.) Then I moved the quilt, reclipped, keeping the already sprayed part fan folded on the counter and did one side, put that side down, reclamped and worked on the other side. Then I carefully flipped the quilt made sure everything was smooth and did the same thing with the quilt top. So basically I did it in sixths, not quarters. This was also the first time I had used spray basting. I was wary, so also used quilting pins and pinmoors, but not nearly as many as I would normally use.) This saved my back (easier than a table, forget the floor) and my knees and worked really well for me. I am now machine quilting the quilt on my DSW. Also a first, I am usually a hand quilter. I was brave enough to do all these firsts, because I really did not like the top. A friend, who is also a quilte,r encouraged me to finish it; so I decided, I don't think I can like this quilt any less, so let's learn something. Best quilting decision I ever made. I have learned so much.