Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 03:47 AM
GramMER

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hikingquilter View Post
Does anyone else have this problem? My washing machine takes any length of fabric (sheets too) and twists it into coil. I unwind before putting it into the dryer, but then the dryer does the same thing! Makes ironing those wrinkles out a real chore, even though I take it out slightly damp. Last night I pre-washed 5.5 yards for a quilt backing and spent a half hour ironing. I've tried in the past putting a heavy towel in the dryer with it but no luck. Grrrrrrrrrr
Somewhere I saw a tutorial for just this problem. The lady was actually demonstrating something else and showed what to do for twisted raveled cloth just as an aside.

She took the new cloth and joined the ends together first. Some people use the machine to make a simple zig-zag seam which also helps the cut edges not to ravel. Then she folded the ends back on the main fold and started pleating the fabric in large pleats--probably at least 8 for the width of the cloth. Using large safety pins she pinned the pleats in place and tossed it into the washer. I have used that method for a while now and it really works.

I would say if your bedsheets get all twisted too, you probably want do the same thing with them or get a new washer. Most models today will not do that to sheets.