Old 10-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I think the postage cost will make these an ineffective way of raising money, especially considering the hours that go into each one.

What I would suggest instead is making a lap quilt to raffle (assuming you are in a state where raffles are legal; check first!). Before making the quilt, ask around for people/venues that would help you sell raffle tickets for it. Possibilities would include friends, neighbors, quilt guild members, churches, stores, or even private schools that have annual fund-raising events. After the quilt is made, take a photo and make color prints for people to use when selling tickets. Sell the raffle tickets for $1 each, 6 for $5, and allow plenty of time to sell as many tickets as possible. The quilt doesn't have to be a heritage type to pass down for generations; a colorful DP9 would be fine as long as the fabric selection is colorful and attractive.

Even simple raffles of quilts tend to raise around $500 or $600; raffles that are given enough time and opportunity can raise considerably more than that. If you keep receipts, you can deduct those from the raffle proceeds.

To me, it makes sense to make a single larger item, get other people involved (selling tickets and buying tickets), and skip what always shocks me as horrendous postage charges for shipping.

I am soon going to need to mail two crib quilts to Quilts for Kids, and it may be the last time I do it simply because postage is so expensive. Our local quilt guild accepts quilts for local distribution, and I think that is how I will contribute in the future. I don't regret getting a kit from Quilts for Kids, though, as it taught me a lot about how to select a focus fabric and accent fabrics that are easy to put together in a simple pattern and result in a really cheerful quilt for a child.

Just my 32 cents worth of thinking....... (inflation)

Last edited by Prism99; 10-08-2012 at 01:27 PM.