View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 09:48 AM
grammatjr

I am trying to design a quilt for my nephew who will be going to Bible College next year. I found a paper pieced block called "clasped hands", it is a simple stained glass block (http://www.equiltpatterns.com/quiltp...cts_id=454#LRG). I want to supersize this so it uses 3 big blocks in the center of the quilt, going lengthwise on the bed. Then, around that a simple sashing type border to differntiate the center from the next border. The next border will be a cyanotype print of church members praying for him. That border will be a finished 7.5" wide and 10" long. I have several questions: 1- Assuming he has a bunk bed in the dorm, I guess I want all this to show just on the flat of his bed, rather than tucked under the mattress, so does that mean that the entire center/sashing/cyanotype border should be about the size of a twin mattress - 39X75? 2- If I subtract 15" for the cyanotpye borders (one left side, one right side), and another 2" (finished) for the sashing, that would leave 22" for the center clasped hands blocks. If I left them square, that would be fairly easy. But I was thinking that setting them on point would be nice. What would the size of the square be, if the corner to corner was 22"? 3- What do you think should go on the outsides of the cyanotype border? I would need to put something to fill out the width, length in case he has a bed that will allow the sides to hang down (and of course so it is wide enough to cover him). I am estimating a finished width of 80", subtract from that the center stuff already discussed, and that leaves me 20.5" on each side, that I need to fill. I thought of some smaller clasped hands blocks, but have so much to do in this next year, so I really want this to be a fairly quick quilt, so don't want to make an extra dozen or so blocks. Maybe just do solid border(s), but a block in the bottom corners? I would make a label saying we are forming a prayer circle for him. What do you think? Thanks for the help.