View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM
oregongirl

my primary machine is a singer 503A - the Rocketeer. it was made in the early 1960's and is an incredible machine. i got it at an estate sale in 1989 in its cabinet for $65, sewed lots of kid clothes on it, made at least 10 quilts on it, repaired cordura duffel bags and sleeping bags on it, and it's never needed anything more than oil and lubricant.

i just bought another one that is identical off of craigslist for $250 including a cabinet. my daughter wanted one. i think it will last forever.

having recently fallen into the "OHMYGOSH THESE VINTAGE MACHINES ARE SO CUTE" pit, i've bought a 15-91 and a 66 in the past couple of months, too. i can see they are fantastic too. i haven't gotten the 15-91 going yet (something is frozen inside) but the 66 is great. it cost $35 including a case and all i did was clean, oil & lube it.

the 503A has cams and a great zig-zag. oh - i've even made coats on it. i love that machine. i'd recommend it totally and you can probably find one for less. i bought the last one from someone who has a sewing machine fetish and owns a lot. can you believe that!? ;-]

Last edited by oregongirl; 10-09-2012 at 05:51 PM.