Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM
dollycaswell

Default What do you know about treadle machines??

I'm about to go to India(for 3 months) to an orphanage with a Christian school and training center. Part of what I'll be doing is teaching girls, single moms and widows how to sew!! Problem is, I'm told that although they have 9 treadle machines, only 2-3 of them are working at any time. I sewed on my mom's treadle machine about 100 years ago haha, but I never had to do any repairs to it. Also, I don't know a brand name or anything else specific since I have not seen them yet.

So, my dear QB darlings, I'm coming to you who have a fountain of knowledge and wisdom and asking if anyone can point me to treadle maintenance and repairs no matter what the brand is? I've googled of course, but seems to me there ought to be more then what I'm finding. I need something like a "Book on Maintenance and Repairs for Treadle Sewing Machines" or a PDF file about old sewing machines and haven't found anything like that. For any of you young ones who might not know, treadle machines are powered by a foot pedal, not electricity.

Also, my dears, I need a source for buying scissors, pins, measuring tape etc in large quantities and as inexpensive as possible. (JoAnn's coupons won't let me buy enough). I'd like to be able to give each of them a basic sewing kit. I want to give them stuff they can use and then also replace in their country. So, I'm not taking rotary cutters or mats as I don't believe it's a common sewing supply available there. Also, I won't be taking fabric because they need to learn to use what they have locally. I'm hoping to teach them how to make handbags/purses and other smaller, easy to learn projects. Another challenge I'll have is finding something there to substitute as the stiffener or fusible fleece in the bags. Any advice or suggestions will be most welcome!