View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
rntravelerpat

Default serger-

Originally Posted by imnywoman View Post
I just read 14 pages of comments, wow!!! It's amazing to read everyone's input. I fully expected rulers and books, some notions, but the range of items and consistent complaints about certain items is surprising. I just discovered Deb Turner, so I am happy to see consistent endorsements for her rulers. The high number of complaints about the Flynn frame surprised me, not that I am going to buy one. I too have purchased the Martelli binding system and it gets my vote for being a terrible product. As for books and magazines, it goes without saying that you are never going to make everything they offer, and very few make even one project from every book, but we love to look through them. I try to buy them used (Amazon, Abe's Books or Alibris). I am not subscribing to anymore mags, I'd rather spend my money on fabric from now on.

When I go to a quilt show, the first thing I do is look at the quilts that have been entered, that's what I go for. Then I wander the booths and try to make a note of anything that was special or interesting at a particular booth. I almost never buy right away because there are so many vendors and chances are I may be able to get something cheaper elsewhere. I also don't want to blow my budget right away, in case there is something fabulous at another booth. Take a card from the vendor, note the booth location and then you'll be able to find your way back quickly when you decide what you want to buy. This also saves you from having to carry purchases around all day. Try to take a break, sit, eat something and decide what you really need to buy.
Good plan! If you have a serger you don't/can't use,check your LQS for classes. Many offer them and you can use your serger for so may things. I bought a book on serged quilts-thinking to save quilting time. I have ahd mine for 15 years and use it for Xmas PJs every year,plus strip quilts for charity. The thread lasts so long that it is really not that expensive.