View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM
LenaBeena

Cool

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching View Post
My husband and I would love to go and do plan on going "someday". I have done research and since we aren't big fans of crusies are considering traveling on the marine highway, then heading inland in a rental car. Has anyone rented a berth on the marine highway boats? I've heard that its beautiful and get to skirt up the coast closer to shore than the crusie ships can go?
Yes we did. Great ride and informative. Some cruise ships are now banned from the glaciers inlets because of polluting the water. Be sure to take the train ride, unbelievable construction for 'back then". Skagway is small but wonderful. Be warned if you like diamonds, plenty, plenty of shops as its duty free. I didn't buy any, rather went for the native crafts. Food is good and cheap. Veggies are amazing sizes due to endless summer sun! Hotels are reasonable, hostels more fun especially for us "mature" types. Hiking is the best and you may get lucky and see wildlife, just be smart and follow the rules. Rangers (ahem, daughter and son-in-law best, of course) are all helpful. Then go into the Yukon! You won't want to miss any of it. Read up on the area before you go, get good guide books at your library or go online. Let us know about your trip when (if) you return