View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Thanks, all
Well, I guess I'm going to have to pay more attention when I buy batting. I do some hand quilting (so I shouldn't use skrim) and some machine quilting (so I can use skrim). I do know that I don't like hand quilting with warm and natural. I've done it and it is much stiffer and harder to make the tiny little stitches that I like on hand quilted items. Nanna
No, wait! Hobbs cotton battings (some at least) have scrim and I handquilted on those for years, with NO problems before I switched to wool from Quilters Dream or Hobbs. With Warm and Natural, it isn't the scrim that likely bothers you but the thickness and the denseness of the batt itself that's a problem in handquilting.

Scrim serves the purpose of keeping the fibers from migrating, from clumping, from wadding together after a quilt is washed repeatedly -- like you see in many much older quilts where maybe the battings might have been hand carded, made at home, or were made by Mountain Mist which did not have scrim and needed to be "quilted to death".

Scrim allows you to quilt further apart than you can with cotton batts that are not scrimmed. Most manufacturers, like Hobbs or QD use the scrim sparingly and it doesn't seem to affect the weight or density for handquilting. And if it does, return it or advise the company!

Jan in VA