Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 AM
quiltingcandy

My list would be rather long - but while considering spending a lunch time and considering I have a lot of questions about my great grandmother and how she and my great grandfather married in Colorado - bother were from the town of Burlington, Kansas. I would like to spend that time with my great grandmother. (We called her Nanny.)

My great-grandmother was a seamstress and hat maker. She went to Oklahoma during the Oklahoma land rush to claim land for her brother who was still too young. She was a small person 4'10" tall, but was not frail. It was after she went to Oklahoma and obtained the land, she ended up in Colorado - they were married and returned to Burlington a shot time after that. The reason I knew that much I found an old newspaper article that was announcing their return to Burlington - where she lived until she died. (He died before I was born so never met him.) So I asked my grandmother and she didn't know how they got to Colorado, and neither my mom or her sister knew.

This little woman was feisty and I would have loved to know more - much more. When we would visit her we were kept away from her - so I grew up thinking she didn't like children. Turns out that wasn't true either. She didn't want us to be kept away - it was our grandmother and my mother trying to protect her from us. (There were 3 of us - I was 6, and my sisters we 8 & 10 when she died at the age of 85. She had been confined to a wheel chair after she broke her hips.) And if I remember correctly it was her father that was a trail boss of wagon trains between Kansas and California.

We lost so much - if you didn't ask the question no one bothered to tell you anything family related.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 10-11-2012 at 09:11 AM.