View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 AM
mcwillia

I sold my HQ16 with ProFrame for $1,500 three weeks ago. I bought it used 7 years ago and quilted almost 400 quilts for Project Linus. The machine is all mechanical and only one oiling point (the bobbin casing area). Not a single problem. As for thread, I used everything from serger thread to industrial....basically whatever I got cheap or free. The trick is to constantly brush out the lint and learn to adjust the tension on both the bobbin and the machine to adapt for the different types of thread. I upgraded to an Avante with ProStitcher. The HQ16's new owner thought my sales price was way low. From my point of view, I wanted it to go to a good home and be a starter machine for sister quilter. I spent 5 hours with her to be sure she was comfortable using the HQ and we played with various weights of thread. The look on her face the first time I twisted the tension knob as tight as it would go was priceless. However, she walked away knowing she couldn't damage anything and tension was no big deal. She did 4 quilt tops in the first week and I got a lovely "thank you for selling the machine to me" email.