View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Kittywolf13

Default New to quilting...

I'm a relative new sewer... i've been teaching myself a long with a close friend who has sewn all her life. I mainly been trying to sew doll clothes, but lately ive been sewing up little covers for my Kindle, and covers/blankets to wrap the dolls in to protect them if i take them somewhere. (can you tell i collect dolls?) I recently "adopted" a Willcox & Gibbs Chain stitch treadle machine and have fallen in love with antique/vintage machines. I'm currently trying to repair my moms Singer Touch & Sew 758 and tomorrow im off to look at a Featherweight for my birthday!

So to get to the point, i have recently considered trying to learn to quilt. I'm not sure i have the patience to sew a huge quilt, person sized... but it might be fun to quilt smaller things, like place mats, drink coasters and doll sized quilts... something i can do with the scraps left over from other projects. (id love to use my 116 year old chain stitch for some free hand embroidery on them as well!)

The problem is... i have no idea how to quilt! where does one begin? any pointers? advice is welcomed! thanks in advance!