Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
dollycaswell

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
See if they can send you the serial #'s and make/models of the sewing machines so you can download operating manuals and take some specific parts likely to be needed- bobbins, belts, properly sized needles, etc. Lots of sewing machine oil (Not 3in1) and TriFlow. Spend some time on the Vintage and Antique section of the Board. There are great tutes on cleaning and repairs. If you have access to internet service in India you'll be able to reach some incredibly knowledgeable people here on the Board who can help you with specific repairs. Take a spool of leather for cutting into belts. Maybe a handcrank or two? The old machines are fairly indestructible unless severely rusted. Please keep us posted on what you need- I'm sure folks will be able to help you.
Thanks, good ideas from all of you. I've checked and saved the links that you all provided. I REALLY appreciate all the help. Only other thing that I believe is different than what we think - their treadle machines aren't necessarily vintage or old. They actually make "new treadles" you know for areas of the world that don't have electricity or that the electricity isn't reliable. That's what I think is there, new treadles that need work. Again, thanks so much to everyone!!