View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Lori S

With very very rare exception I machine stitch my bindings. I do this for several reasons. I can put more stitches per inch than if I hand stitched. The tension on my machine is closer to perfect than when I hand stitch, it takes so much less time. My hands hurt less when I machine stitch.
I suggest you attach the binding ( use the width you would typically use) as you normally would stitching the binding to the top. Before stitching down the back , use the steam a seam 1/4 inch on a roll( fusible) , and press the back side of the binding , covering the stitch line a few threads over toward the center of the quilt. Once the binding is fused basted into place.. stitch on the right side of the quilt close or in the ditch of the binding seam. I use invisable thread on the top side.
This goes so quick and the results are very good. I have seen other that use glue to baste the binding in place prior to sewing , but I find the 1/4 inch fusible to be less messy, faster, and more consistant bond.
Give this a try on a table runner or something small.