Thread: Low Carb Help
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 01:42 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Thanks VickiG for all the added info.
First of all, please don't get me wrong in thinking that I am saying it's wrong or that it's easy to lose weight. Believe me, I know that all too well.

I come at this from the "experienced" weight loss/gain scenario myself and having worked in the industry for almost ten years as well. Add to that, a friend who is having the lap band done next Tuesday. So I am trying to learn and understand more about it all.

So for the first weeks after surgery it's only a teaspoon or two at a time to eat? How often? Were you hungry thru this? I know my friend is virtually not eating the two weeks pre-surgery, and only on a supplement drink, mixed with water and from what I understand will have that post-op for a spell as well.

As with all weight loss, nutrition is key. For most of the population, we get the nutrition we need, just by eating and with no planned menus. It just kind of comes together by the odds. The main problem is eating too much. Cutting back to virtually nothing, definitely I can see why the nutrition concerns may arise.

Interesting that you said that you have to watch bread intake or else the pounds come on ... hhmmm? no different than most of us, right? So, the surgery really isn't the resolution then, UNLESS the patient changes his/her eating habits. Again the parallels.

It's good to know that you are now eating semi-normally! Is it a matter of just eating less for all, post-op? or are certain foods no-no's? or totally restricted? (bread already mentioned)

From what I have read and understand, it still takes a lot of commitment, change and patience. I'm not sure that my friend has those, and whether she truly understands what's ahead. And I will admit, I fear for her. I hope it works for her. I really do. Though from what you have said, it's no magic cure-all ... you have to work at it, work hard and be ready to change.

I'm glad for you that you have seen progress and recognize the importance of patience in the process!
Here's to continued better health and more results for you!

Again, please do not think I am criticizing this ... I am just trying to understand more.

P.S. ... as for your husband ... we'll both just be envious!!