View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 08:08 PM
Kittywolf13

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Kittywolf13,

Happy Birthday!

Tri-Flow or sewing machine oil in the oil places, Tri-Flow or Singer grease ( lube ) on the gears, Singer lube in the motor. The owners manual will tell you where to put it. I much prefer the Tri-Flow.

Bobbins are available from several places but my favorite is Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/Bobb...-SCBN45785.htm }

The little thumb screws go to the presser foot ( it's there ) face plate (looks like yours is missing), and the fabric guide which uses the holes just to the right of the needle plate on the bed.

Nice machine. I'd use oil and a soft cloth to clean it. As for polishing it, I'll defer to Miriam on that one. She's recommended something to me and my pea brain isn't remembering what it is right now.

Joe
Do you happen to have a pic of the plate your referring to?

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
See http://shop.sew-classic.com/Bobbins-...-SCBN45785.htm for bobbins. Congratulations and a very happy birthday to you!
Thank you so much!! im off to order some bobbins!

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
oh you did great! she's beautiful!

look and see if the screw fits where you attach the feet. it looks kinda like that one.

there is a sticky at the top of the page on how to clean up a vintage machine. someone suggested in another thread using an automotive scratch remover, which i bought, and while it worked great on my car it didn't seem to make a lot of difference on the sewing machine finish. i didn't work it very hard, though, because i didn't want to damage anything. i think this one is good enough you could just clean it and enjoy it like it is.

you could also try waxing it. I bought an automotive wax that was safe for clear-coat finish and used it. the particular one i got was named Meguire's, but i think any would probably be ok. that would protect your decals, too, as far as i know, although i am new to this obsession.

have fun!

oh - i should add don't use that scratch remover or anything harsh on the decals. you might try out anything you want to use in an inconspicuous part of the back, just to make sure.
I have scratch remover that i was useing on my W&G's throat plate. i will try that on the shiney metal bits... and the buffer. i need to buy some normal car wax though so they stay shiney and neat. Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
Kittywolf13....I see that you have been properly 'inoculated' with the "Vintage Sewing Machine Addiction Virus" just by hanging around with all of us enablers....heheheheh!

I think your birthday present is gorgeous! I use sewing machine oil on a soft cloth to clean up my machines. To oil the inside parts I like to use Tri-Flow. It comes in a little bottle with a teeny straw to help you get it into the hard to reach places.

I highly recommend Dave McCullam's book, "The Featherweight 221 and I". He has a terrific sense of humor, it's aimed at us DIY folks and the drawings are clear and easy to see. He also has a website with lots of info and tips about them.
http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx/index.html
Oh Yes! i have been thoroughly thrown into the hobby. now i need to stop so i can get both machines (3 if i can get my mothers working without too much trouble or fear of breaking her more.) in perfect working order so i can actually start sewing. She sounds lovely when i hook her up, but dont want to run her too much till i've cleaned and oiled her since its probably been many years since shes been cleaned and oiled.