Old 10-13-2012, 06:21 AM
mpeters1200

Default I actually have a stash now...but I don't know what to do with it!!

We just moved from a two bedroom apartment to a 4 bedroom house. There is quite a large living space downstairs that I've split in half. One half is my sewing room and the other the boys' rec room so they are downstairs with me when I'm sewing.

In our apartment, I kept everything inside a LARGE microwave box. The only exception was my little shoe box size plastic totes for FQ size pieces or smaller. Now I get into the house and I fit a heck of a lot of stuff in that microwave box!

I have 2 cabinets on the walls downstairs and one children's bookcase. The bookcase holds my quilt books on one shelf, then my shoe boxes of scraps are on the other shelves arranged by color. I pulled out all my FQs and put them in one smaller box separated as colors.

I'm not sure what to do with the cabinet space. I learned about ruler folding my fabric and that's certainly helped for half yard, yard and just over a yard pieces. I think I can get all those size pieces ruler folded and arranged on shelves by color. I've never had a sewing room in my life. I'm trying to figure out the best use of the space I have. I don't know what to do with pieces over a couple yards. My quilt sandwiches are in a laundry basket cause they don't fit anywhere else.

I've always just put my fabric in walmart sacks according to project. I'm not sure what else I should be doing. Do you think it's a good idea to put some nails on the walls to hold my two mats and rulers? The cabinets I have are like newer kitchen cabinets. They aren't really deep enough to accomodate more storage totes.

I just have no idea what to do. I've thought about those cube storage things that you can get that hold 9 fabric cubes for storing more stuff. I have one bag of small strips and I use those shoe box things for smaller scraps. I'm not sure what to do with my yardage with the space that I have.

Melissa