View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Tothill

I have never been to a quilting retreat, but I have been to a sewing retreat with Sandra Betzina and Ron Collins, as well as several 3 days workshops with Ron Collins. I attended the Ron and Sandra retreat with a friend. We sat together and got along well. She was not impressed with some of the other attendees, but I met some great women and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I really enjoy meeting other women with similar interests.

I have taken other workshops with various instructors from a local quilting store. With workshops I find that the instructor sets the tone. Jan Bones is a great instructor who keeps control of the class environment.

I do not share my supplies. I have had to scrimp and save to buy them and cannot afford to replace them. I am willing though to show how something works and will ask others if they like their tools and notions that I have never seen before, but I would not ask to use them.

I try to be sensitive to those around me. I can put up with just about anything except strong scents. Even scented laundry products can make me feel ill. This is my problem and has only come up once at a class. I explained that the problem was me (it was not my table mates fault I react to Tide detergent) and had to move to another table.

I always have my cell phone with me, but on vibrate or silent. I do not take calls in the work room. One year DH called repeatedly, so I left the room and called him back. He had just got a call that his dad had cancer. We decided I would stay until the end. When I reentered the room I guess the bad news showed on my face and several asked if all was okay. I just gave a general we got bad news reply.

Another time DH called, DD had hurt herself and had a concussion. We decided to wait for the doctor and decide if I had to return home.

My big issue is I cannot share a bed or room at night. I do not even sleep with DH due to sleep problems. It is not that I am shy, unfriendly or snobbish. Others are welcome to join me in my room, I will share treats and drinks, but I need to sleep alone.

I would love to go to quilting retreats to meet other quilters, so learn new techniques (most are new to me) and have some time away from my usual responsibilities.

If you have a chance to go to a retreat, go.