Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
quiltinghere

Great conversation - great info and opinions - thanks for starting it.

As a longarmer, scheduling when a top will be quilted is a good idea but I wouldn't want tops around my home for months before they are placed on the machine.

Once on the machine, in my experience, an overall edge to edge shouldn't take longer than a few hours to a day to complete. Light custom and full custom are on a schedule anywhere from days to weeks to a month to complete.

Just this past week I completed 2 edge to edge and 2 light custom various size quilts.

As far as pricing, I agree it does vary (both by the type of quilting and local quilting prices). EVERYONE I've ever talked to about longarming ALWAYS asks... "How much do you charge?" Didn't the quilter mentioned ever ask? I have NEVER heard of someone dropping off a top to be quilted and NOT getting an estimate of the charges - $1200 - WOW I'd love to see this quilt.

I believe if the time frame you're given isn't being met, maybe it's time to try a new longarmer. As a number of people have said here, quilters will SHIP their quilt tops and backings to get it quilted in a TIMELY MANNER, rather than wait and wait and wait for someone to do it locally. It's really not that expensive to ship. With today's technology, discussing your quilting needs and conveying ideas is easy... it's just like being there in person. I know, cause I've used it!

Have a wonderful quilty day!
Nan - Indiana