Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Fraew

I made 3 more blocks this week. Instead of using the term "redo", I am going with "oldies but goodies". He he.

This weeks "oldies but goodies": B1 (reverse applique), A5 (paper pieced) and C1 (paper pieced).

I love paper piecing when I can piece the whole block in one piece (C1 for example). In the past, I got frustrated when I had to put seams together (A5 for example) because after all was said and done, the block would be too small. I was printing "separate sections". What's the point of sewing on the line when you loose too much in the seam allowance, making the block too small?!?!? I was losing about .05" at every section (seam line) that needed to be joined together.

And then...I thought, "What if I print the pattern larger when I have sections that need to be pieced?" Hummmm.

For A5, it was pieced in 3 columns, giving me 3 sections that needed to be sewn together, or 2 seam lines (0.05" x 2 = .1")

I printed the pattern 4.5" (length) x 4.6" (width: 4.5" +.1" = 4.6"). Pieced and pinned like heck (can't over estimate the power of pinning the heck out of it) and voila! My paper pieced block finished at 4.5" x 4.5"!!! Victory at last!!!

Have a great new DJ week all.
Attached Thumbnails b1-redo.jpg   a5-redo.jpg   c1.jpg   update-10_14_12.jpg  

Last edited by Fraew; 10-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.