Old 02-03-2008, 01:21 PM
barnbum

The border squares are done. I didn't like how they were looking in the middle--so I made some color changes mid square and love the results. LOVE the results. :D (see smile dance). I had to switch to a darker final log and made the decision to be a little less scrappy--it was going to be too busy for me. I love how there are all blues for the top--then mixed for the sides, and all green for the bottom. Whew!

Note--the squares are just laying by the quilt--nothing is sewed together yet.

Here's the trouble. The final squares are supposed to measure 5 3/4"; mine measure 6". So much for needing the spacers they suggest. :roll:
There are 5 squares not even set around the quilt. So--my plan is to sew the border sides together, then see how off it is, and to adjust the barn section by adding spacers there--matching colors as best I can.

Will that work? Will it look okay? :?: :?: :?:

I do want to play around with rotating the squares to see if there's a better way to lay them. Any suggestions there?

I do love the way it's coming, but I'm a tiny bit discouraged with the size issues. I think I can make it work--but my weekend is about over, so I'll think on it and play with it this week before sewing anything together.

Any advice anyone can offer would be so appreciated. :!: :!: :!:

PS--I just did some math. The center piece measures 32.5 by 42.5. The squares are 6". If I consider seam allowances 6 squares should end up at 33.5, so I'd have to add 1" total to the sides. 8 blocks should end up at 44.5, so that'd mean adding 2 inches total to the length.

Does that work? I think I'll sew the sides and tops together before I make any adjustments to the center...but it's not too far off, I guess. Well--in the grand scheme of things. Heavy sigh. :roll:

Attached Thumbnails attachment-21563.jpe