View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 03:23 PM
twinkie
Power Poster

I had a horrifying incident with the quilt. I wanted to freshen it up so I put it in the dryer with a fabric sheet. It wasn't wet, just freshening it up. I took it out after about 15 minutes and started putting on the label with a blanket stitch. When I got around to one side of it, I noticed some "Pink" on the white around the label. Discovered that the "Flag" material apparently let off excess dye when it was heated. I was panic-stricken. I called some friends from our guild and couldn't find anyone at home. It was only on the back but the back was white. Didn't know what to do. Looked it up on the internet and didn't find much information. This morning about 5:30 I went into our QB chat room. There were several members in there and one in particular, WilliP, had worked in a fabric store. She went and got the formula to set the colors. I put 1 cup of vinegar with 1/2 cup of salt in a washer full of cold water. Gave the sale time to dissolve. Then I put the quilt in. I washed it on gentle and rinsed it twice. I then put it in the dryer with a homemade cloth color catcher (1 tablespoon of baking soda in a cup of hot water till dissolved. Place white junk fabric in it and let it dry. Then cut it into pieces and it works good). I air dried it in the dryer without heat. Lo and behold, I just took the quilt out and about 85% of the bleeding had come out and the other is very faint. The quilt has been saved. Thank you WilliP. Isn't our QB wonderful?