View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 AM
katier825

Default Conquering the fear of feathers!

A while back (year or two?) I bought this book. http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Feather.../dp/1574329731

I had every intention of teaching myself how to do feathers. I practiced on my little sandwiches occasionally, but never had the courage to do them on a "real" quilt until now. I must say, it was so much easier than I anticipated and I am thrilled with my results! No where near perfect, but that's ok. I have learned that one of the keys to success is not to try to have things perfectly symmetrical. If you try to get a mirror image from side to side, it probably won't happen, especially if you are a newbie at it. If you intentionally make variances, you will be happier with your outcome.

I drew a wavy line all around the border and feathers on the corners only on Sulky Solvy to give myself a guide, pinned to the quilt and quilted all around the border. I got into a rhythm very quickly. Good thing...two of my corner sketches were facing the wrong way and I had to wing it. oops! But I was able to ignore the lines I had drawn and just stick to the wavy line as my guide. I couldn't get it bound and washed quick enough! It was worth staying up for.

The pics aren't great - it's 5am and I can't get daylight pics till the weekend.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]369864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]369865[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails picture1.jpg   picture2.jpg