Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I opened it up and the oil ran out... so no picture - I'm just not that fast. Might explain why there was a pool of oil over the motor as well... The only way I can figure it would be to put the machine on end and then pour in some oil and quick put the wheel back on then turn it back and pour oil over the motor. Now I'm going to have to pull that motor and see if it is ok. If not, I think I have another motor somewhere. The machine had frozen up stitch selector - someone loved 3 in 1 oil. It was a job to get that back one to move. I thought about dis-assembling it but if you can't get it to move, it wouldn't be that much easier to get apart. I did have to go to drastic measures. My DH laughs every time I do that though. I put cosmetic pads down in under that, stuck a panty liners to the machine to protect the paint and then put a hospital pad around the whole thing so all I had was a little hole exposing that transmission part thingy. Then I painted a pretty stiff chemical on it - usually that will open it right up. This time I had to paint it on multiple times. Then I had to use a heavy hand to move the knob - finally got it to move and then used a tad more chemical to get the dried on 3-in-1 oil off. It only takes one little tiny bit of 3-in-1 oil to gunk up one of those stitch selectors but good. If I had been patient I betcha Triflow would have done the same thing - might have taken a while of soaking and oiling. oil. wait a day. oil. wait a day. a week later do the same. not have to mess with all the pads and chemicals. I love my Singer 403... and my Singer 503 so simple.
Oh yuck! It's such a shame to find them like that. It's a good thing it found its way to you though. Not a lot of people would take that sort of project on. I was wondering what does old 3in1 look like? I've run into this nasty beige crusted stuff before, mostly on the gears and wondered if that was it.

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
Still deciding what to do with mine. But I've been distracted by my featherweight and birthday. Before I make a final descion of trying to track someone down I will pull it from the cabinet and see what I can see from the underside.
Can you post a pic of this same area on your machine?
Just remove the one screw you see and slide the bottom cover off.
I want to see if the actuator is broken, or out of place or if it's something else doing it.

In sewing position:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]370009[/ATTACH]
In winding position:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]370010[/ATTACH]

If you could let me know if the nylon piece is attached tightly to the whole mechanism, or if it just spins around would be great too.
Attached Thumbnails 758bobbinact01.jpg   758bobbinact02.jpg