View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM
totosmom

Originally Posted by Ellietow View Post
After reading the forum, I was bitten by the bug, and bought a 301A at an estate sale - they were asking $100 but I got it for $70 (I know that a lot of you find them for less!) But now I have some questions:[LIST][*]what is that white knobby thing on the left side of the machine? I don't see it in any of the pictures online[*]the needle is threaded and the machine runs, but when I compare it to the threading diagram http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag..._threading.htm, it looks like I'm missing thread guide 10, 11, or 12 - I only see 2 thread guides in that part of the machine.[*]it sews pretty well, and quiet, and fast, but it does seem to make a "gunning" sound sometimes - does that mean it needs to be oiled?[*]I'm not handy - but I could probably follow the oiling diagram - or should I bring it in to have it serviced and cleaned?[*]At first, when I tested it, tension looked great, except when I went backward, then the tension didn't look good.[*]I appreciate all the helpful hints I've seen on this board.[*]Now I want to find a card table for it - but that will be hard I think.[*]Thanks for reading![*]
Congratulations on your new purchase! The 301 is one of my favorite Singer models. They are great for classes and produce a lovely stitch just about all the time. If I were you, the first thing I would do is remove the needle plate and the bobbin and clean up that area. Who knows when it was cleaned last? Then I'd give her a nice drink of oil and sit down with some fabric to test her out. She may be so grateful for the spa day that she sews like a champ. If not, you may want to find a SMG to give her a tune-up -- or if you're feeling adventuresome, you could do some of that yourself. Whatever you decide to do, keep us posted. We love to see finished projects too.