Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM
Deborahlees

As I dear Mother would say...."six to one half dozen to the other"....meaning doesn't matter......
I am currently doing a mans lap quilt so I am using only tans, browns and black (my choice).....
I have also seen them done with 2 or 3 colors combinations, like red, green and white...... I personally
like a 3 color combo, I tend to do a lot of things in 'odd numbers' and prefer the look !!!!
What I like to do with all my 'string quilts' is do the center piece in a 1-1/2" black fabric....then when
I layout the squares I can play with the design of matching that center string.....into connecting diamonds.
I am almost done piecing this one, when I get the squares sewn together with take a pic and post...
I use deli paper for my foundation, and then just carefully rip it off when done....you can use muslin if you
so desire, I just find the deli paper cheap and easy.......I end up making a 11-3/4" square with my paper.....
With a scrapy quilt I just think it is important to have at least one strong solid, be it black or white, to pull all the colors into playing nicely with others