View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Oh, I'm so sorry to see this. My dad was a welder and he called this, white metal..... really hard to 'weld'. But I'd think trying some JB weld would be worth it. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off.... have to find a new one at that point. I'd try it. Good luck.

nanna

Thanks nanna! I think I've also heard of it called pot metal? They really liked it for cars in the 80s.... maybe it's not the same thing, this machine is 1930ish (I knew at one time, but I've forgotten.)

I was so frustrated too, this machine has been handing me challenge after challenge. I might have yelled something not very nice when it happened too. A really tight for no (apparent) reason motor, all the wiring needing to be replaced, and that plate that goes over the knee controller is just in the wrong place to make working on the controller "easy". I worked on a 28, easily 25 years older later that day and had less trouble with it.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Yes, you can JB Weld it. Clean it with denatured alcohol first then put the JB weld on and try to clamp it. Let it set for at least 24 hours then clean off the excess JB W and paint it with model paint or a Magic Marker.
How long it will hold is the question. Preparation of the broken places is critical. All oil, paint, dirt must be removed.

After that, hunt down one that's not broken.

Joe
Oh good!! Thanks Joe! I take it denatured alcohol is different than the isopropyl alcohol in the bathroom?
Yeesh,... I will do what I can, but I'm not sure where I will be able to clamp. (Everything is rounded) I will be as creative as I can.

Hopefully it will last long enough that I can be a little more choosey. The one that I can find is older, probably from a 27, and missing a lot of paint, etc. That said, I'm ordering stuff from that guy for other machines, and it's less than $13, so maybe I should just suck it up?