Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 PM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]370100[/ATTACH]Ok this is just sad. My girl friend called me so excited. She'd found a Singer sphinx at an auction. It had been auctioned off before she had a chance to view the machine. She talked an "antique" dealer who had just paid $50 for the machine to sell it to her for $90. She thought it was so pretty that she was willing to give him the $40 extra. Well, she sent me a photo! Geeze, I didn't know if I should just keep my mouth shut about what she had, or tell her the truth? Anyway, I decided to tell her that she didn't have a vintage HC at all, but a modern reproduction of the original Singer model 15 with a Sphinx decal - probably made in either Taiwan or China. What do you guys think? Do you think I should not have burst her bubble?

Nancy
Nancy, You need to tell her that the machine is a reproduction, but you can also spin it in a way that doesn't look like she got a bad deal. There are folks that prefer these 15s over the older machines for FMQ since they state the Japanese made machines sew better. Plus the box and lid look to be in very nice condition, worth some of that extra $40.