Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
vintagemotif

Nancy,

Do you remember when I showed my Singer 15 with the RAF decals in 2010? Back then I was questioning if that was a real Singer or a copy. The machine has a machine plate # of 15BG168.

The machine that your friend has and my machine both look almost the same, just that her machine has those bright decals and her bobbin winder is slightly different. Here is a photo of my machine. My machine has a very nice part to the bobbin winder that helps keep the winder down in place ( silver thing with sliver button top -same as your friends). It was the improved method for the winders. My machine was manufactured 1963 in Taichung Taiwan. Short story I discovered this new improved winder works so much nicer.

Longer story...
At one time I had switched the spoke wheel and bobbin winder on this machine with my other Singer 15 (1946) without a spoke wheel that I have in treadle. That machine got a motorectomy and sat in treadle. At the time of switching, I thought one needed a spoke wheel on the machine to be treadled. It wasn't until reading Sharon's, purplefiends, posts that I learned from her that I could treadle with the the wheel that came with my older Singer 15. So, in the process of using the newer bobbin winder, I discovered how much nicer it worked. Later I switched the winder and wheel back onto the Singer 15 shown in picture so that I could add the HC with those lovely Chinese character that say made in China. Now when I use the Singer 15 in treadle, I pull out this Singer just to use its bobbin winder since it is the better winder.
Attached Thumbnails img_4508.jpg  

Last edited by vintagemotif; 10-15-2012 at 09:26 PM.