View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 AM
SereneWinter

Question Help a Newbie :/

So I really want to make my husband a rag quilt for Christmas with his fav baseball team fabric. My friend is suggesting using fleece on the inside for batting and cotton on the outside which would work great because my husband does not really like fleece. (I know that is hard for me to accept too)

I found this sites instructions: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Quilting-...t-Patterns.htm
and read that she said that the size of your quilt must be divisible by your length and width. Since my husb is a big guy I decided to go with this info:

• 72x63 & use 9" blocks.
  • 1/2 inch seam around so I would need to cut 10" blocks
  • I want to use 5 diff cotton fabrics total.

I calculated it would be 8 blocks x 7 blocks. Is that right?? If so can anyone pleaaaase help me figure out how much fabric of each 5 pattern I need & how much total fleece I need to use as batting. If I'm doing something wrong please help me. I want to buy the pattern soon and I've read the rest of the instruction and have a friend who will help me put it together but she needs me to figure out the fabric on my own. I don't want to buy too much because the fabric for his team is out of print and its $20-$35 per fat quarter (Yes I know that is insane *cries*) so I DEFF want to have enough to finish but not too much to where I have a lot of extra. If anyone knows and can verify if someone answers if that is correct I would feel a lot less calm. This part makes me nervous.

Thank you SOO much for helping a new girl!