Old 10-16-2012, 06:09 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
- PM sent, and I apologize for misspelling Cathy!! I am friends with a Kathy so it's force of habit!

Nancy - So glad you pointed this out as my Husband is often my "picker". I think I might get excited if I see one now just to say I SAW it!!
Valerie, the first time I saw one of the reproduced machines I was dumbfounded! I didn't know they existed either! I knew there are treadles still being produced for the Amish and countries with little or no electricity. The 'new' treadles I had seen produced for the Amish, for example, looked like a modern machine that does decorative stitches, etc., - they were just in a treadle. I didn't know about those machines being produced to duplicate original Singers. The first one I actually saw in person was at my Sewing Repair guy's shop. It looked like an original, but different. It didn't look as well made, it looked smaller - maybe because the treadle was small - it looked gaudy, it looked beat up already, and it was having lots of problems - hence in the repair shop. But, seeing it amazed me to no end! I had no idea it was a reproduction until Billy came up one day with the notion he was going to import and sell those machines here. I think, he found there were not too many people here in the US interested in buying an American icon being reproduced in Taiwan or somewhere else so he dropped the idea. Here in the Vintage shop, we all want the real deal even though I think I would have bought that repro HC that my friend bought just to have one to show off and explain to people what it was!

Nancy

Oh Cathy, I just thought of something - how about a compromise! We will call those machines a "duplicate" of an original Singer!

Last edited by BoJangles; 10-16-2012 at 06:18 AM.