Old 10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Yes, Monica I remember this machine. My first clue that your machine was a 'later' model is the placement of the serial number! Yes, Cathy, I did see the plastic feed dog drop knob too - yes a 3rd clue for me always! Thank you Monica for explaining the different bobbin winders using your machine! Great example of a 'later' model of the original! Monica, I am curious does your machine say made in Taiwan? It is too bad my friend didn't see that! She is so disappointed that her HC is a reproduction model of the original - she is especially disappointed that it wasn't even made here in this country, much less the original real deal.

Nancy
Nancy, I looked all over the machine for a marking stating made in Taiwan, but I don't see one. This is a photo of the underside for you. All metal with Singer stamped parts. You can see the serial # ND976655 stamped into the machine. I looked that number up back in 2010; back then, the Singer's list stated that it was made in Taichung Taiwan.

Nancy, you state that she has a HC to this machine. I see a portion of it in the picture. That HC is much better than the HC I have to my machine. Is the HC handle wood or plastic? Another plus to that machine is that it came with a nice HC. How much are Singer HC going for these days on Ebay? She could always swap the wheel and HC onto another machine for use. I know you don't like to do that since you like to keep all original parts on each machine. But let us just look at it as an big IF she wants a spoked wheel and HC on a different machine for a period of time. They are easy to swap back and forth. I have done this with mine numerous times.

As to made in this country, hmmm, that is a matter of interests. I have numerous Singer machines made in different parts of the world, Great Britain and Taiwan, just happened that way. I wasn't on a hunt to find x machine made in x country.

Her machine came in a very nice box with lid. The cost and time just to make that is worth that extra $40.
Her HC is so much nicer than mine. Her HC is worth some money and the spoked wheel. As I stated, I don't know the ebay rates for these items today.

She could also look at the machine as the odd duckling. It has a tattoo that is a wee bit loud with some coloring- goes with the fashions of today.
Attached Thumbnails img_4511.jpg