Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Sewfine

Originally Posted by AFQSinc View Post
Very cute tree skirt! I love the crosshatching in the center. Check out Diane Gaudynski's book Guide To Machine Quilting. She has a technique in the book for freemotion crosshatching using a richochet motion. I'm not that good at freemotion and it was a nice technique. It does take some practice but it eliminates all of the the stopping and starting and gives a nice effect. She also discusses what and where to begin quilting which will help with some of the puckering issues. My local library had a copy. Yours might as well.

Otherwise, I like the idea of diagonal stitching or lines coming out from the center. Either way, it will be beautiful and I look forward to seeing your finished piece!
Amy, I love your tree skirt. Have no idea how you should quilt it. I like the cross hatch in the middle.

AFQSinc

There are a lot of books at my local library in reference to quilting also. I even copy some for future reference. I practice my free motion quilting by making mug rugs and pot holders and just little things for friends and family. If I mess up, only I know because they thing it is a design. Or either they just don't want to hurt my feelings.