Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy, I looked all over the machine for a marking stating made in Taiwan, but I don't see one. This is a photo of the underside for you. All metal with Singer stamped parts. You can see the serial # ND976655 stamped into the machine. I looked that number up back in 2010; back then, the Singer's list stated that it was made in Taichung Taiwan.

Nancy, you state that she has a HC to this machine. I see a portion of it in the picture. That HC is much better than the HC I have to my machine. Is the HC handle wood or plastic? Another plus to that machine is that it came with a nice HC. How much are Singer HC going for these days on Ebay? She could always swap the wheel and HC onto another machine for use. I know you don't like to do that since you like to keep all original parts on each machine. But let us just look at it as an big IF she wants a spoked wheel and HC on a different machine for a period of time. They are easy to swap back and forth. I have done this with mine numerous times.

As to made in this country, hmmm, that is a matter of interests. I have numerous Singer machines made in different parts of the world, Great Britain and Taiwan, just happened that way. I wasn't on a hunt to find x machine made in x country.

Her machine came in a very nice box with lid. The cost and time just to make that is worth that extra $40.
Her HC is so much nicer than mine. Her HC is worth some money and the spoked wheel. As I stated, I don't know the ebay rates for these items today.

She could also look at the machine as the odd duckling. It has a tattoo that is a wee bit loud with some coloring- goes with the fashions of today.
You know Monica, I agree Debbie's machine is an odd duckling. I would have probably bought it too, just to have one duplicate, odd machine to show off! I would rather have the HC than a treadle. I don't have room in my house for a reproduction type treadle. I'd rather have the real deal, but the HC is really pretty and interesting! I would imagine those machines are not very common in this country too - more desire to own one just for the heck of it!

As to it being made in Taiwan, or India, or China, or some other country - I don't think that is as important to Debbie as the fact that she thought she bought an antique Singer! I too have several machines made in Germany, Switzerland, Great Britain, Japan, and probably Taiwan, but my friend is just getting into vintage machines, and she really wanted an original with really nice decals! There is a big difference between getting the original real deal and a copy of the original! Like I said, I'd buy one of those if I saw one at a yard sale, etc., just to own one - but, not the treadle! I will save my cabinet space for the original models!

Oh switching out the HW and HC is a good idea, but Debbie is not into vintage yet so she would have nothing to switch them on to. I don't know if the knob on the HC is plastic or not. Anyway, I may talk her out of that machine. She is really disappointed in it, and I wouldn't mind owning one!

Nancy