View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 AM
QultingaddictUK

I mainly machine bind my quilts ever since I became the local Project Linus coordinator as the quilts need to be sturdier than most, just because a child is ill doesn't stop him/her being a child so quilts are used a lot for Batman capes, dolls houses etc. etc. Also besides getting a lot of handling they get a lot more laundering so the binding must be strong so machine stitching them is the only option, so I thought I would post how I do mine.

For an ordinary thickness of quilt I cut my strips 2 3/8" ( thicker ones 2 1/4") fold and table press in half longways.

I stitch on with a 3/8" seam, on to front as you normally would, fold over and you will see that both sides line up exactly. I then normally us a "Blanket" stitch that I have on my machine, but a stepped zig-zag works and looks just as good. Below is a couple of pics of one that I am just finishing, not perfect but more than acceptable IMO.

BTW the other lovely way to finish a quilt is "Accent binding" here is a link to a superb free tutorial, you must try it as it gives an added dimension to a quilt and looks lovely: http://www.heirloomcreations.net/wp-...lt_binding.pdf
Attached Thumbnails machine-binding-front.jpg   machine-binding-back.jpg  

Last edited by QultingaddictUK; 10-16-2012 at 08:50 AM.