Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
You don't want to know how many ways to spell or pronounce Miriam - but when I call you on the phone you will know it is I.
Hehehe, Miriam you have a beautiful name - my last name is Smith and even though it's the easiest name on the PLANET it's still often spelled wrong or pronounced wrong...I can only imagine the difficulty people must have with Miriam! Lol*

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Ok Cathy as much as I love you and your knowledge I have to differ with the 'reproduction' or 'nostalgic' terms. I couldn't sleep last night and thought about the two terms. The 'nostalgic' does have a certain romantic notion, but to me does not describe those machines so I looked up the meaning of both terms.

Reproduce, reproduction, means the process of making a copy of something . . . . made by reproducing an original, copy, duplicate . . . etc.

Nostalgic mean a sentimental or wishful yearning for the happiness felt in a former time, place, or situation . . . a sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

I know all of us could probably use either term to describe those machines that are copies of the original Singers, but to me they will always be a reproduced copy. I can't think of them as nostalgic, even though that term does sound much nicer!

Cathy you are just such a sweet person, you want the nice term used, but is it really the correct term?

Nancy
What I am curious about, is what were they reproduced for? Are they reproduced for the purpose of nostalgia or were they reproduced for the purpose of duping newbie collectors?

I too would probably not pass up the opportunity to own one for a reasonable price out of fascination and curiosity.

Also - I wonder if the antique dealer who sold it to this woman for the extra $40 knew that it was a reproduction??

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Valerie, the first time I saw one of the reproduced machines I was dumbfounded! I didn't know they existed either! I knew there are treadles still being produced for the Amish and countries with little or no electricity. The 'new' treadles I had seen produced for the Amish, for example, looked like a modern machine that does decorative stitches, etc., - they were just in a treadle. I didn't know about those machines being produced to duplicate original Singers. The first one I actually saw in person was at my Sewing Repair guy's shop. It looked like an original, but different. It didn't look as well made, it looked smaller - maybe because the treadle was small - it looked gaudy, it looked beat up already, and it was having lots of problems - hence in the repair shop. But, seeing it amazed me to no end! I had no idea it was a reproduction until Billy came up one day with the notion he was going to import and sell those machines here. I think, he found there were not too many people here in the US interested in buying an American icon being reproduced in Taiwan or somewhere else so he dropped the idea. Here in the Vintage shop, we all want the real deal even though I think I would have bought that repro HC that my friend bought just to have one to show off and explain to people what it was!

Nancy
Ahhh, I didn't know they reproduced the treadles either! Well sheesh, now I'm really interested. We live in a heavily Amish populated area and I had heard that they buy up treadles at the local auctions but had no idea that they still made them to this day for that purpose. Now see, where would I be without this thread??? Lol*