Old 10-16-2012, 12:31 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post

What I am curious about, is what were they reproduced for? Are they reproduced for the purpose of nostalgia or were they reproduced for the purpose of duping newbie collectors?

I too would probably not pass up the opportunity to own one for a reasonable price out of fascination and curiosity.

Also - I wonder if the antique dealer who sold it to this woman for the extra $40 knew that it was a reproduction?? Lol*
Valerie, I doubt very much they are being reproduced to dupe newbie collectors. They are probably being reproduced just as a gimmick to sell something different! Nostalgia may play a roll, although, the people reproducing those machines in Taiwan, or India, or China, probably don't have any nostalgic connections to the machines. There is still a real need for HC's and treadles all over the world. Singer is just trying to hone in on that market - in my opinion! I bet there are people who buy them just because they do remind them of something old and dear! I honestly think they are cute and Singer has probably duped lots of people who think they have an antique in great shape. As far as the antique dealer, who knows if he knew what he sold Debbie? He may not have known. I don't think there is a lot of information out there about those reproduced machines - at least not in my neck of the woods? Lots of people don't know about them. I think things go in full circle. It is quite common for something old to come back. The problem is, the workmanship is no where near that of the original machines. I highly doubt those reproduction models will last 100 + years! I think the production of the repros is pretty smart on Singer's behalf. I mean if you want a machine that only straight stitches, is only around $100 brand new - and something to show off - why not buy something pretty and different than the plastic wonders!

Nancy