View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 AM
crashnquilt

Rotary cutters are a must. I prefer Fiskars Titanium Blade with comfort grip. The 45 is the most common size. You can cut about 6 layers of fabric with it. I don't like the "stick" type of cutter because sometimes my hands will tremor a bit and slip on the handle. When getting into rulers, stay with the same manufacturer. I prefer Omnigrid because they are a bit easier for me to read. The reason I say stay with the same manufacturer is because all markings may not match up between different brands. A "self healing" cutting mat is great. I would suggest one in a light color because all fabrics can be seen easily. You want a large mat. You don't want to have to be moving your fabric to get one complete cut and most fabric measures 22 inch folded.
Good neutral color thread for piecing. I prefer to use Maxi Lock light grey for my piecework. It is a thin thread and you don't get a lot of thickness at seam joins. If your machine can not hold a thread cone, you can place it in a jar behind your machine and thread as usual to use.
Good thread snips. I use Havels thread snips and love them. Good seam ripper. Once again I prefer the scalpel type made by Havels.
Quality sewing machine needles. I prefer to use Schmetz Quilting Needles in size 11.
The absolute greatest "tools" of all are quilting friends. Find a mentor who is willing to help and guide you. They are worth more than their weight in gold.