View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
I think some rubbing alcohols have a very high alcohol content but in general, yeah - denatured doesn't have the water/oil that rubbing alcohol usually has (and the alcohol itself is different but I don't know that that would make a difference in use.)

Clamping odd shapes is a challenge. I've had luck elsewhere (not sewing machine related) tacking boundary boards that will keep everything from shifting to a backing board on a backing board then wedging as tight as I can without the piece moving out of plane (i.e. buckling.)
This stuff is 99% alcohol ... I always feel like there's a residue left when I use rubbing alcohol though. I wash my hands or whatever to remove it. I guess that wouldn't be good in this case, right? I will see about finding some denatured alcohol.

Thanks for the idea about tacking the pieces.

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
You might just want to find a new bobbin winder on eBay...they are on there quite often. Usually around $15 or so. Try Joe's suggestion first, and if not satisfied or it breaks again, then get one.
I think you're probably right. I guess it would be nice to keep it original, but JB weld isn't exactly original either.

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
You can hold it while JBing it with modeling clay. Also, drilling and pinning should hold it well. A machine shop can drill it for you. Either way it will cost about the same, except no shipping charges.
The model clay wouldn't stick to the JBW? We have a drill press here, would that be sufficient?

Originally Posted by TinkerQuilts View Post
I've had luck clamping some odd shaped things using rubber bands, little velcro straps, and little bungee straps.
Oh! I wonder if I could use our strap wrench to hold it. Thanks for the ideas!!

Originally Posted by noradi View Post
My 2 sons are into stockcar racing & one of them ran an engine for several races with a 4" crack in the side of the block that my hubby had patched with JB Weld. He says it takes about 24 hrs to cure though.
I would totally believe it. I run a motorcycle forum, and the things I've heard of them using JBW for is unreal. Years. Years they'll use things that have been welded.