Old 10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
pumpkinpatchquilter

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Names can have a profound impact on a person. My first name is Joseph for my Grandfather. My middle name is Gail after my father. His first name was Hiram. He was called Gail by friends and family. I never did like being called that. As I got older I still don't like it, but now I don't have to worry about it because anyone who would call me that is dead and gone .
Sometimes we miss those names that we aren't called anymore don't we? Even if it's because we miss the person who called us by the name more than the name itself.

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Valerie, my oldest daughter is the receptionist/eyeglass repairer, etc for an optometrist. She does a lot for the Amish as far as picking up and returning glasses as they are 20 miles out of town. They are very hard on their glasses so they greatly appreciate what she does. Her daughter (my GD) has the reputation of being the best customer at the Amish store - she's feeding 3 growing boys. The community made my daughter a gorgeous quilt when her house burned - a queen size multicolored Lone Star. When we delivered a pair of glasses one evening, we were given wonderful vegetables and a tour of the new house. I know she had a pair to pick up at 7:00 this morning and return this evening. The child can't see without them so what she does is special to the community. I don't buy much at the store, but I did buy a wolfdog from another Amish community. That was interesting.

Names - I disliked my name growing up, but I no longer care. There are worse names than Judy. 10% of my HS graduating class were Judys- thank to the popularity of Judy Garland at the time we were born.
Hehehe, the Amish are so fascinating...but I suppose they are just like all people at the end of the day aren't they? Nearby there was great controversy in the news about an Amish Bishop who was shaving the beards of Amish members he didn't like! I guess you just never know!

As for names...I have yet to meet a person who just loved their name. I think it must be some sort of rule that a person grow to dislike their name! LoL* I don't think mine is particularly awful, just nothing special.