View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 04:44 PM
katier825

I am making a Tradewinds quilt for my hubby (link to free pattern below). I am using batiks, blues, greens, rusts, tans, browns. I thought I had a pic, but it must have been in my computer that died. It was very similar to the one in the pattern, but had more tans. It's very easy, just need to be sure to starch your fabric. I didn't use a packaged jelly roll; I cut my own out of yardage that I had. I was going to surprise him with it, but he came home when I was working on it, so I told him it was his...he loves it. Hoping to finish it for Christmas.

http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/EDocs/...ern%20blue.pdf

Manly doesn't have to be limited to black or grey, sports or camouflage. Blues/Browns go together well, as do blues/greens, fall colors, etc. Batiks are great because there are a lot of earthy designs. I just avoid the flowery ones for guys. For regular fabric, there are a ton of different tonal or blender fabrics, landscape, geometric, solids, marbles, beer cans, muscle cars, motorcycles. The possibilities are endless!

Other patterns for guys: log cabin, bargello are the first to come to mind. Maybe something with larger pieces to show off larger prints.