View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Monroe

I've been to a few retreats and experienced the space stealer, cell phone yakker, and several others. I'm a former nurse. While at a country retreat a lady fell and hurt her leg badly the first morning and I took her to the local clinic, then unfortunately 30 miles away to the hospital, spending my entire day. Got back with her at dinnertime now seriously loaded on pain pills and couldn't be left alone due to other medical problems. Her friend/roommate promised to come back from the sewing hall after dinner to take care of her. Right- she didn't show up til 11:30 pm telling me about all the sewing she'd finished! I lost an entire day of the retreat. My sewing space had been misappropriated and it was not easy to reclaim it without repeatedly removing the sprawler's stuff - coincidentally the roommate. I now refuse to put up with unacceptable assigned seating so I can actually enjoy being with folks and get some sewing done. I learned an expensive lesson to be assertive and not allow anyone to spoil or waste my retreat time. I've had other much more fun experiences getting to know the women in my Guild better. If there are games being played- participate only if you wish to. Some have dinner themes, games, PJ parties, alcohol available, group blocks being made for a charity or raffle quilt, etc. For me- the point of going to a retreat is to learn and have fun with others rather than sewing at home.