Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 AM
Knitette

If you've taught before, you'll probably be fine. Teaching quilting is not really any different than teaching anything else - the same skills and attributes will stand you in good stead. However, if you've only taught children before, then teaching adults is a little different.
Friendliness, confidence and approachability are the key factors. Adult learners will not expect you to be perfect, but will expect honesty, reliability and self-awareness. Never assume knowledge, but at the same time, don't patronise.
Bear in mind the large differentiation you may have in students - some will be novices and need a lot of reassurance and support, whilst others may want to race ahead. Be prepared for how you will deal with this.
Make sure you get your supply list out EARLY - some people may have to travel to source items or use the internet.
A sense of humour is a great asset - take the class seriously, but not yourself!
If you enjoy what you're doing, they will too. Remember, they're learning because they want to, not because they have to!

One of the worst classes I attended was taught by someone my LQS holds in high regard. She arrived in a great flurry complaining she'd put her back out. Whilst the shop assistants were fawning over her another student and I were at the counter getting some supplies (there's only one LQS in my area and the list had been given too late to ensure internet delivery), only to discover there was no stabiliser at the necessary weight left. Whilst the assistant was dealing with us the tutor started the class - before the appointed time! She did know a lot about quilting, but was at pains to let us know how much. You would have to pay me to go back to one of her classes.

I don't know a lot about quilting, but I lectured adults until I retired. During that time I also taught lecturers how to teach. The very fact you're on here asking for opinions and advice tells me you'll be fine. Good luck, relax and enjoy!